You may already be aware that medical websites are on the verge of a cosmic shift. Folks at Amazon and Investors from Facebook just invested over $95 million in an “opentable” like app for medical appointment scheduling. Intuit just bought a patient-provider communications company, for $91 million so they can offer patient portals.
We are a medical software startup and we will be launching this year — and we need writers to help!
Are you hungry for an opportunity of a lifetime in an early stage medical startup? Our internship may be just what you’re looking for.
We will be the online service where medical practices go to setup and manage their websites and web applications.
A revolution is stirring and change is knocking at medicine’s doorstep. The healthcare industry desperately needs innovation and you know it; you’ve seen your doctor’s website.
We have found a way to trigger innovation in healthcare through the web and we need your help to market it. Come work as an intern for Nerve. It is an experience that should be valuable to you and an opportunity that will launch your career. We’re working on landing startup capital and you might just land yourself a stipend/paid position or even a full time job. We are young and an opportunity to be a founding employee in a game-changing tech business should be very appealing to you.
What we’re looking for
We are currently looking for writers to assist with researching, writing, editing, storyboarding, prototyping and conception work related to web and interactive projects. This internship provides a real-world look into how a creative department operates on a day-to-day basis in an early stage startup company, while imparting the skills needed to succeed in today’s business world.
Emerging writers will assist with the conception and development of new products. He or she will assist in prototype development projects from definition stages through production release. The project scope would generally be of an intermediate and advanced nature and include some technical writing and medical knowledge skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to communicate with co-workers and clients
- Solid conceptual thinking and idea generation
- Ability to take complex information and present it in a streamlined and easy-to-understand way
- Writer and editor experience, specifically writing for the web
- An utter and absolute mastery of the English language. Be able to write and edit better than anyone you know. Be the sort of person who uses semicolons in your text messages. Have an opinion about serial commas
- College-degree obtained or expected in English or journalism
- Profound attention to detail; the ability to multitask and stay highly organized in an extremely demanding environment.
- Strong marketing savvy and scientific curiosity. Be excited about deploying new projects and analyzing your results.
- A portfolio that speaks for itself. Experience with UX copy, ad copy, and brand copy is a major plus.
Working with Nerve
You’ll be working with a great team at Nerve. Our team is small but very strong. The Small Business Administration named our CEO Young Entrepreneur of the Year for his last company where his firm developed various sized ($10k – $250k) marketing, branding and business solutions for dozens of medical clients from concept through full implementation of client strategy.
Our goal (when we have startup capital) is to be named the Best Place to Work in Pittsburgh. We want you to have a lot of fun doing your job.
No, we aren’t in a garage, but we’re only a few steps away… We currently operate out of a loft in the East End next door to Whole Foods, Starbucks and The Sharp Edge Beer Emporium.
Projects include but are not limited to:
- Compose and edit beautiful copy. You’ll be in a crucial support role and work with everyone — doctors, executives, and more. Be great at helping people figure out what they want to say, then helping them say it.
- Develop unique ideas, variations and enhancements for prototypes
- Prepare technical reports based on research, and recommend design modifications as indicated by test and usage
- Make product recommendations and specifications based on interpretation of analytical and test results
- Pilot your own projects and care about results. This is a bleeding-edge environment where staff-power is the only limit. You’ll wear tons of hats, and there will never be a shortage of initiatives for you to take.
- Develop our blog. We have an incredible wealth of content; now we need someone to curate it and show the world who we are
If you are a hard-working smart fast-learner who asks good questions to get good answers and if you like a challenge and are not afraid of the unknown, this internship is perfect for you.
We need interns who are determined to research, motivate and lead so that we can all innovative and bring new ideas into the world.
Candidates must have excellent communication skills. The scope of this internship is unpaid, but we will work with your educational institute to make sure you receive course credits. We also provide letters of recommendation and résumé-building skills for outstanding interns. Candidates are accepted from any location, US or international. Work will be performed on location. Minimum hours required are dependent on individual school guidelines and project completion requirements. We will expect between 20-30 hours a week on location.
Launch your career with Nerve, here’s what we offer:
- A once-in-a-lifetime experience at the heart of next big thing. You should be after the experience and the opportunity
- Work closely with a nimble team who will deeply value your contributions. We all get our own coffee; expect to be treated as a real member of the team
- A chance at a paid fulltime position in a company that will value your founding efforts
- Free drinks, and a fun work environment in Shadyside
- Autonomy! This is a nimble, anti-bureaucratic environment where today’s concept is tomorrow’s strategy.
- Course credit, if that’s your thing
Think you’ve got nerve? Prove it and apply for this internship by providing the following within one PDF sent to careers at nervemedical dot com:
- A one-page resume and cover letter that tells us why you are qualified for this position and tells us how your doctor should change to make her or his practice website better (please be thorough and outline your ideas in a clean, scannable format)
- A paragraph detailing the best medical practice website you have seen in the last 12 months
- A paragraph explaining the differences between writing for the web and other mediums (We hope you know who Jakob Nielsen is)
- A paragraph-length anecdote revealing your interest/passion for healthcare
- Explain your reasons for wanting this internship (i.e. school credit, general experience) and state your availability
- Attach your unofficial transcript